Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Rein Rain: Weekly Reading Reflection


          In the book, Rain Reign by Ann M. Martin, Rose is obsessed with homonyms. She has her own list that she has rules for and it's written by hand so if she doesn't have room for a homonym she thinks of she needs to rewrite the entire 4 page list. Rose explains her life and how she is in a 5th grade class. One night her father brings home a dog. He said he found her behind the Luck of the Irish, a bar the her father likes to go to a lot. Rose and Rain are best friends. One time her father takes Rose to school with Rain in the car and Rain gets out of the car and follows Rose to her classroom. Rose is having trouble behaving correctly in school and her father is getting fed up with all of the meeting and bad report cards that are happening. A hurricane is scheduled to hit their town one night and it does hit hard. The morning after Rose wakes up to an empty bed and finds out that her father had let Rain outside during the storm. Rose and her father have lots of tension between them now and Rose tries to look for rain but can't find her. Rose makes a plan to look for Rain at all the animal shelter near and in her town. Eventually she gets a call back from one of the shelters and she finds Rain, but when she gets there Rose finds something out. Rain has a microchip in her neck and her real name is Olivia. Rose didn't realize she had other owners. 
          My friends had told me that this book was good and that I should check it out. I checked it out of the library and started reading it in literacy ladder that day. As I was reading it realized that it was going to be a very quick read. I'm already two thirds of the way through the book and it is not interesting to me. My friends had told me that they loved the book and I had high hopes for it, but once I started reading it I realized that I really didn't like it. I could take the book back to the library but I know that I could finish the book whenever I want. The story seems almost to quick for me. I don't like that there isn't much detail or elaboration on events that happen inside the book. I don't enjoy the characters and I feel like they haven't made the characters yet. I don't know what Rose really looks like, or what her father looks like, or even her uncle. I'm not enjoying the story so far.
Pick one of the main characters. Think of a shape that fits that person's traits. 

          I'm going to pick Rose for the character shape. I pick a hexagon for Rose. I've picked this shape because Rose is an odd character. She has many sides to her personality. A hexagon is a closed shape and I feel that since it is closed it has everything on a routine, everything needs to fit perfectly. Rose is very much a routine person. She does the same thing with Rain every night. Rose also always has to have everything right. If she spots someone not driving correctly she will flip out and start crying. If someone breaks the rules at school she has a temper tantrum. Everything needs to be perfect in her world. This is why I can connect a hexagon to Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment